CO
A male asked:

I had my wisdom teeth removed about 10 days ago and i'm having headaches and ear pain constantly. is this normal?

Dr. Renae Roelofs
Dentistry 38 years experience
Get it checked out: Each person's recovery time after surgery varies. I would however return to the dentist and have them check to be sure the healing is progressing. If that checks out OK, then see a medical doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John DeWolf
41 years experience
No: It's not normal but it may be a consequence of your surgery. Often the symptoms you describe are really the result of TMJ pain from the needed jaw positioning to extract some wisdom teeth. Go back to your treating dentist and get evaluated. In the meantime, ibuprofen and hot or cold packs may help. Try cold first and if that doesn't help try heat. Get it checked out by all means.
Dr. John Thaler
Prosthodontics 42 years experience
No it isn't: You must get in to see the Oral Surgeon who treated you and get things evaluated. Some muscle soreness is normal as is localized tenderness. Not constant and not 10 days later. Check for fever and any firmness under the jawline near the neck. Get in tomorrow ASAP -- tell them you are in constant pain and you should get in as emergency. Good Luck.
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management 37 years experience
TMJ disorder: after a difficult wisdom tooth extraction is very common. The headaches and ear pain are major symptoms. See your surgeon for post-op evaluation.
Dr. Kevin Nail
Dr. Kevin Nail commented
Dentistry 12 years experience
More than likely these problems are not related. I would see your dentist for evaluation. If this problem occurred immediately post extraction and you have continued to have problems, then you should follow up with the person that extracted the teeth.
May 4, 2015
Last updated Nov 28, 2017