i'm 17 weeks pregnant with triplets and go to sleep on my sides but often times wake up on my back and my arms are asleep. is it affecting the babies?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Katharine Cox
44 years experience Pediatric Emergency Medicine
No: Try to sleep on your left side, it will keep pressure off your aorta and provide better blood supply to the babies. All the best and I hope all goes well.
Answered on Oct 19, 2018
1
Dr. Anne Phelan-adams
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
I suggest you place one of those long "body pillows" behind your back. Right now your sleep position isn't important, but, as the babies get larger, you're right that sleeping on your side is best (in part you breathe better!) I think Dr. Cox meant that sleeping on you left side takes pressure off the main vein (vena cava). The aorta is under higher pressure & won't get squished.
Apr 28, 2015
45 years experience Pediatrics
No: You are basically a protective environment for baby.Babies placenta extracts the proper nutrients, and you just carry the fetal-placental unit around. The sometimes concerning symptoms you may have will generally not effect baby. The exception would be changes in your blood pressure, dehydration, significant illness, etc..These things change the "environment" for baby.
Answered on Oct 13, 2020
1