U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A female asked:

I have a hard lump under the skin on my middle finger tip, my doctor has sent me to have an ultra sound but i'm just wondering what it could be, it has grown over the past year, it's now painful, it is the size of half my fingertip. thanks?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kathy Robinson
Family Medicine 33 years experience
Cyst: Sometimes cysts form in the fingers, different types of cysts. Sometimes they are attached to a tendon and that is called a tendon sheath cyst. If it is that large you may need to have it removed so it is good that you are getting the ultrasound. Usually it is nothing dangerous, just can be very annoying.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Aug 24, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.