NY

I have a cold sore scab above my top lip and it looks horrible! it is so big! is there anyway to get rid of it or speed the healing process?? is it true if the cold sore is on skin that it would take 7 days! more longer than a one on your lip? please help

Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial 47 years experience
Keep it moist: Once you have reached the scab stage, it just has to resolve on it's own. If you keep it moisturized with ointment, it will soften the scab and heal more quickly. If you have recurrent cold sores, consider having an antiviral onhand (pills and ointment). If you take or apply antivirals as soon as you begin to get symptoms (itching or burning), you can often abort the full blown cold sore.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 59 years experience
Valacyclovir and acyclovir pills are effective. A single dose immediatly at prodrome (first tingling before the blister). The ointments and OTC creams are a waste of money.
Jun 2, 2015
Last updated Apr 17, 2018