NY

I had blood on my toilet paper, i think from eating/drinking too much tumeric/garlic. is this possible, do i need to worry?

Dr. Andrea Rodgers
29 years experience
Garlic and turmeric: It is unlikely that garlic and/or turmeric are the cause of the blood you saw. If it was bright red blood on the toilet paper only the most common causes are an small tear in the anal mucosa from a hard bowel movement or a hemorrhoid. If the bleeding persists I suggest seeing your doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Lipkin
See below: Blood on the toilet paper is often due to bleeding internal hemorrhoids. Blood on the stool is more worrisome. Both turmeric and garlic have anti-platlet action. They "thin" the blood and can impair blood clotting. It's likely that if taken in large amounts they could cause hemorrhoids to bleed. If the bleeding happens infrequently, and never in the bowl or on the stool it's likely hemorrhoidal.
Dr. M. Hytham Beck
Surgery 44 years experience
It is not: it is not the garlic,garlic is one of the best natural remedy of all time. if you are having a blood while wiping ,that indicatea local problem,like anal fissure,or hemorrhoid. use OTC medication for that. enjoy the garlic.
Last updated Apr 15, 2015