NJ

i need to quit smoking?

Yes: All smokers need to quit smoking. However, the nicotine is extremely addictive, which is why the tobacco industry is able to keep selling so much of their products. One can work with his primary care doctor on quitting. There are ways the doctor can help.
Dr. Paul Pyles
Addiction Medicine 33 years experience
Talk to your doctor : Talk to your doctor about your options to help you quit smoking. There is the patch, gum, Chantix, Wellbutrin, (bupropion) e-cigarettes and recently a product called "Vape". Hypnotherapy, group therapy, and acupuncture are also available. Consider seeing a psychologist. Sometimes people have to get creative to devise a strategy to quit. It may require a combination of approaches. Best wishes!
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
There are many ways: The overall best results in smoking cessation come from the use of a medication combined with a formal smoking cessation program. All of this requires, first and foremost, the motivation to quit. I start my patients with nicotine replacement therapy - patches plus lozenges usually - together with a formal program. Wellbutrin (bupropion) is another med, and ultimately the best results have been with chantix.
Dr. Dean Giannone
Cold turkey.: As far as quitting without any nicotine replacement, the cold turkey method is great, and has proven to be the most successful method overall. But plan it ahead of time. Pick a quit date in advance, maybe a meaningful date like a birthday or holiday, and gather people who are aware of your attempt that you can call upon for moral support if you start to falter. Good luck!!