what do you recommend if i bought some nicorette (nicotine gum) gum to help me stop smoking. the package says i need to quit smoking before i start i?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Not really so: There were some cases of people with pre-existing heart problems who developed angina (heart pain) while using nicotine products while still smoking, so companies are being extra-cautious. Many smokers will use the gum or other products while taking long plane trips or in a movie. You should smoke ON TOP OF using the gum, but if it helps you cut down, that is reasonable. Don't use them together.