Is dental floss more effective than floss picks?

17 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Robert Landman answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Floss/ flosspick: both are effective if used properly, though flosspicks cant always get under fixed bridgework. around temporary crowns regular floss is preferable as it can be removed with a lesser chance of dislodging the crowns

Answered 3/7/2015

3.1k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Regular floss: is recommended, but floss picks are better than nothing for your gums and oral health.

Answered 3/7/2015

3.1k views

Dr. Orly Hendizadeh answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Yes: Dental floss is more effective vs floss picks because with regular floss you have more control of the floss and you can shape it like the contour of the tooth to get closer to the tooth under the gums.

Answered 5/8/2015

2.9k views

Dr. Kevin Nail answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Dental floss: For efficiency and patient compliance, I find that my patients do better with the floss picks. From a pure cleaning standpoint, floss wraps around the teeth better if you use is properly. If you are doing one or the other, you are doing better than 90 percent of America, so pat yourself on the back. Just make sure to floss daily along with twice daily brushing with fluoride toothpaste

Answered 5/20/2015

2.8k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Flossing is: Flossing is the most effective and safest way to clean in-between your teeth. This assume that you are doing it correctly. There are many other methods such as floss picks but they are not as effective & can do damage if not used properly. My advice would be to discuss the various methods available with your own dentist and have him\her demonstrate the technique and follow-up on your effectiveness

Answered 5/26/2015

2.8k views