Buffalo, New York

i think i have a piece of cereal in my throat. i mean i can breathe fine but it's annoying. is there a choking hazard here?or it'll go down eventually

Dr. Duane Gels
Allergy and Immunology 37 years experience
Get checked: A foreign body sensation often lingers for <1hr after it has been coughed out. No Qtipping! Aspiration of food particle can and does happen, even in healthy young people; food not show on xray. Very high in the throat? ENT can easily do rhinoscopy for quick check around upper throat, tonsils. But unresolving food impaction, true aspiration, respiratory distress? Go to ER.
Dr. Francis Cannizzo
General Surgery 27 years experience
Yes, but low risk: There's always a choking risk with food stuck in the throat but most go down without problems. You can help it along by drinking plenty of fluids to wet your throat and encourage the stuck food to pass. The benefit of this approach is while you are swallowing the fluid, you will also swallow the cereal without aspirating (choking on) it. If you have any breathing problems go immediately to the ER.