Katy, TX

i had cold/flu sore throat. doctor put me on augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) 875mg 2x a day. 1 week later i have phlegm in my chest, what can help rid of phlegm congestion?

Dr. Kashif Abdullah
Guaifenesin: Hello I am sorry to hear about your congestion. You could use Guaifenesin to treat your congestion. Guaifenesin increases the volume and reduces the viscosity of secretions. You might also heard of it called Mucinex (guaifenesin). You could take Guaifenesin 400 mg by mouth every 4 hours as needed. You could find it yourself or ask the pharmacist where the generic Guaifenesin is.

Last updated Jan 30, 2015