U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Wolcott, Connecticut
A 28-year-old male asked:

What happens if a doctor wants to switch specialties (ie. internal med to cardiology) do they have to go through a whole new residency?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ankush Bansal
Internal Medicine 18 years experience
Sort of: There are two types of training - residency and fellowship. They're really the same except fellowship is after initial residency training. Cardiology is a specialty after internal medicine (IM). Essentially, any change of specialty such as IM to general surgery or IM to cardiology requires training for that specialty (anywhere from 2-5 years) to be certified and practice the new specialty.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Marc Mugmon
Cardiology 49 years experience
Fellowship : Cardiology is a subspecialty of Internal Medicine, requiring a three year residency, followed by a 3-5 year cardiology fellowship, depending on whether extra time is needed to learn special procedures, such as stenting or electrophysiology testing and treatment. To switch to a new internal medicine subspecialty (like gastroenterology, rheumatology, etc., a new fellowship would be required.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 24, 2015
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.