PA

I have to take a ct scan next week for abdomen and pelvis and need to drink barium sulfate. i am concerned about allergic reactions. are they common ?

Dr. Irina Vasilyeva
Radiology 41 years experience
No, not for barium sulfate: They are much more common for IV contrast.. Are they going to give it to you? Allergic reactions usually happen to the substances with high molecular weight.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Roy Arnold
Severe reactions: to Barium Sulfate are very rare, about 1 out of 1,000,000. Minor reactions like cramps or constipation are common and usually resolve quickly. Thanks for trusting HealthTap!
Dr. David Dinhofer
Radiology 42 years experience
Allergy to Barium is very rare as Dr.Arnold noted. In all my years of practice, I think I heard about one patient, I have seen thousands in my practice who had no problems. As a radiologist, we recommend that you eat a high fiber diet as the barium can form large hard balls that are hard to pass. The high fiber diet will protect against this.
Jan 21, 2015
Last updated Oct 10, 2015