does acne go away after it present itself in the age of 20? or redness of skin?

Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dermatology 53 years experience
Usually is outgrown: Acne is related to hormones that start to be made at puberty in boys and girls. The hormones stimulate the oil gland, sebaceous gland, to become large and active, to produce alot of oil and often a bad, thick kind of oil, sebum. The first acne are little clogges pores, whiteheads and black heads, buf often the acne gets bigger and inflammed over time. Many people end acne at age 20 but not all.
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Plastic Surgery 46 years experience
Very informative response
Jan 16, 2012
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman commented
ENT and Head and Neck Surgery 19 years experience
If it's not getting better at age 20, consider evaluation by a dermatologist to try and get control of your acne.
Jan 18, 2012
Dr. James Zasuly
Plastic Surgery 28 years experience
Most: Most acne resolves over time but you will find many people who know otherwise. Redness and scars can be permanent. New lasers are fair and can be helful. Don' believe all the promises though.
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Plastic Surgery 19 years experience
Usually: Acne usually decreases in severity as you enter and go through your 20s. There may be pitting and scarring which never resolve completely. Redness of the skin should improve as the overall acne subsides. Scarring can be improved with various treatments, most of which can be performed in the office.
Dr. Jane Chung
Plastic Surgery 32 years experience
Can go away: Acne can go away with a proper care such as topical bezoyl peroxide cream and washing with a proper cleanser if it is mild.
Dr. Otto Placik
Plastic Surgery 34 years experience
Acne at any age: Acne is a complex combination of diseases whose appearance is well described but etiology is unclear. There are a variety of types of acne that appear at almost any age including in neonates, classically in teenagers, and well into adulthood. Commonly these are associated with alterations in hormone status. Whereas mild cases may resolve with no sequelae, cystic acne may produce permanent scarring.