why do i have diarrhea after a meal?

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Food allergy: Have your doctor screen for such underlying causes as celiac disease and lactose intolerance among other possible issues.

Should I be concerned about my baby's bright green diarrhea?

Dr. Michael Amster
Specializes in Pediatrics
No: If you ask my wife, she'd answer differently, but no, bright green diarrhea is not going to cause any harm. Most diarrhea is viral, and the virus causes inflammation and change to the intestinal world. Normal bacteria there changes. It's that bacteria that changes the stool to different colors, so if you change the bacteria, you change the color. When the virus goes away, it changes back.
Dr. Vahe Yetimyan
General Practice 51 years experience
Fast transit time of the stool from the large bowel prevents to change the color of the stool from green to brown. Diarrhea is one of the causes of fast transit time. Dyes and chemicals in the foods or drinks can also change the color of the stool.
Dec 26, 2014

Can certain formulas cause diarrhea?

Dr. Colton Bradshaw
Specializes in Pediatrics
Yes: If all babies were just alike there would be only one infant formula. Yet everyone knows that babies are born with differences; this can extend into tolerance or intolerance of infant formula. Perhaps the most common are cow milk protein allergy and lactose intolerance. While not exactly the same, symptoms of increased gasiness, colicky pain, and diarrhea are common hallmarks of these disorders.

What does it mean if my baby has green diarrhea?

Dr. Roy Benaroch
Nothing: The color of diarrhea is not important-- unless it's red with blood. Green means the gut is moving quickly, and you're seeing green bile. But that really doesn't mean anything special.

How long after you eat a meal does it take to affect your bowels? I have a person that continually can swear that he can eat a meal, then like 35 minutes later it caused him to have really bad diarrhea. I try to tell him it can't happen that fast.

Hi, : Hi, i suspect that the person you know is telling you the truth. The gastrocolic reflex occurs when food is eaten. The food stimulates peristalsis (contractions) of the gut to move food down the GI track. If the gastrocolic reflex is off kilter than the food can move through the gut too quickly and result in diarrhea. Irritable bowel syndrome can be one cause for this type of symptom. My guess is, that it is hard for you to imagine this because you probably have a normal gastrocolic reflex pattern.

What do I do about severe diarrhea immediately following meals?

Dr. Howard Keller
Welchol before meals: Using Welchol or other bio sequestrant will help. Also limit fluid with food.

Last updated Mar 28, 2013