Blackfoot, ID

what would blood look like in 5 month old infants stool.my sons stool was really black.should i be worried?

Dr. Joseph Bouvier
See below : Black stool (like tar) is evidence of bleeding above the ligament of treitz which is in the area of the duodenum. This can mean bleeding that was affected by the acid of the stomach turning the blood from red to black. There are other reasons why the stool may look black that are harmless, so get seen by you pediatrician and bring a sample of the stool to be tested for blood (a guiac test).