after rupture achilles tendon surgery my fourth toe is black and blue, is that normal?

3 doctor answers
Dr. Jeffrey Bowman
37 years experience Podiatry
Difficult question: I have never seen that in all my years however a bruise can occur due to gravity pooling blood anywhere. If its painful or any type of drainage u should report it to your surgeon. How long ago was surgery? Did you get a block behind knee? These could be factors.
Answered on Mar 25, 2013
Dr. Steven Sheskier
38 years experience Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgery
Can happen: Blood once it is out of a blood vessel just goes to the lowest point. (you pour water into an upright glass it goes to the bottom). A rupture of the achilles tendon as well as the attendant surgery can causing bleeding. If you do not keep the foot higher than your heart or dangle it too much it follows the path of least resistance and can end up in your toe(s).
Answered on Dec 10, 2013
Dr. Payam Rafat
21 years experience Podiatry
Possible...: I had a similar problem following a sever ankle sprian two years ago. It went away after only a few days. If it becomes worse, have it evaluated by a professional.
Answered on Sep 28, 2016