Do y think using a dermaroller is safe and effective for my stretchmarks? i've seen many dermatology clinics that perform it?

13 doctors weighed in across 5 answers
Dr. Otto Placik answered

Specializes in Surgery - Plastics

Modest results: I have seen subtle improvements in stretch marks but so not expect complete removal. Retin a (tretinoin) may help improve outcomes.

Answered 9/29/2016

5.2k views

Dr. David Sneid answered

Specializes in Endocrinology

Nothing: Stretch marks are tears in the skin cause by weight gain. They can be covered up, but not improved by creams and lotions. The only possibly effective therapy is cosmetic plastic surgery, but that's a big step for a non-health and non-life threatening problem. Dermaroller is safe, but won't help much.

Answered 12/10/2013

5.2k views

Dr. Glynis Ablon answered

Specializes in Dermatology

I think its still: controversial. if the needle stick is deep enough you can get new collagen formation but often the rollers are not used deep enough

Answered 7/27/2014

3.8k views

Dr. John Ebner answered

Specializes in Dermatology

Unlikely: The dermaroller device and others like it are designed to cause "micro" punctures into the very superficial levels of the skin which, in turn, is supposed to stimulate collagen production in the treated area. Sadly, for stretchmarks, the effects is not likely to give you a significant enough response to notice a difference, even after several treatments.

Answered 5/23/2015

3k views

Dr. Rebecca Weiss answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Go for it.: Yes, microneedling is considered a safe and effective method of treatment for stretch marks. Most derm clinics use devices like the DermaPen or MicroPen which have needles that penetrate into the skin at 90 degree angles, with adjustable speeds and depths. Dermarollers are fine for home use, however. Be sure to keep them clean in between uses and choose an appropriate needle length - 0.5 - 1 mm.

Answered 3/10/2017

773 views