Houston, TX

Im 33 weeks pregnant. and im on lovenox (enoxaparin). my ob told me if i go into labor before my scheduled csection they would have to put me to sleep. why is that?

Dr. Matthew Wilson
Epidural hematoma: If your blood is overly thinned you would have a chance of epidural hematoma which could have devastating effects on your health. Lovenox (enoxaparin) is more difficult to reverse than heparin, but it's easier to use. I'm surprised you have to come to healthtap to get an explanation of the treatment regimen your doctor gave you. You should be able to ask your doctor these questions, but i'm glad to help out.
Dr. Nikolaos Zacharias
Maternal-Fetal Medicine 27 years experience
Depends.: Whether or not general anesthesia will be required for your cesarean delivery depends on when you last injected lovenox, (enoxaparin) what dose, for what reason, what your labs show and how urgent your cesarean delivery is. Ultimately, the perinatal anesthesiologist will decide if the risk of an epidural hematoma is too great and the risks of aspiration during general anesthesia are justified.

Last updated Jun 27, 2014