When can i start weight bearing after bi-malleolar ankle fracture non displaced?

3 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Jeffery VanYperen answered

Specializes in Podiatry

After it heals: I am assuming you are either in a cast or a cam walker. Fractures take 6-8 weeks to heal, and i would not recommend putting any weight on it during that time. A bi-malleolar ankle fracture is very unstable as it is, and i would consider surgical fixation to lessen the risk of displacement, deformity, and arthritis. Note that even with fixation, ankle arthritis is almost a guarantee.

Answered 10/3/2018

5.2k views

Dr. Christian Foglar answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery

X-ray: The answer really depends on the facture. I neeed to see a x-ray to answer that. You will get various answers. I am very aggressive at letting people weight bear but if it is potentially unstable then it is wrong to weight bear.

Answered 12/1/2018

5.2k views