last night, i wore a new night guard for my teeth grinding. i woke up with dizziness and a little nauseau. are these symptoms from night guard?

5 doctor answers
Dr. Joseph Greenberg
Specializes in Prosthodontics
Probably not...: All nightguards are not created equal. Is it hard or soft? Should be hard. How much time did the dentist spend fitting/adjusting it to your bite and teeth? At least 15 minutes or i would be concerned.
Answered on Jul 18, 2019
3
Dr. Carol Van der Harst
34 years experience Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
No, not Realy: Your symptoms suggest dehydration. Avoid alcohol before sleep, drink 6-8 glasses of non-caffeinated fluids a day. You can get adjusted to your bite block wearing it 1/2 the night, increasing it as tolerated. Dizziness almost always has some nausea with it, if it persists you will need to have your ears examined.
Answered on Oct 13, 2016
2
Dr. Randall Stastny
33 years experience Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
Not usually: It sounds like something else is going on. I would have the night guard checked by the dentist who made it.
Answered on Mar 23, 2017
2
2 comments
3
Dr. Randall Stastny
Provided original answer
I agree with you completely and that is why I recommended that the patient return to his dentist to have the bite guard checked. However, you are correct that I implied there is no relationship to his symptoms when there may very well be. Thanks for pointing that out.
Mar 20, 2013
Dr. Edmund Lipskis
39 years experience Dentistry
According to recent studies, oral appliances like night guards, even just clear orthodontic aligners, can cause airway obstructions and apneas to be worse. In fact studies demonstrate that 40% of the time, these generic and frankly thoughtless appliances make the apnea 50% worse.This could be the issue in this case. Another possibility ist hat the patient has an undiagnosed TM Joint issue, and the appliance is actually making that worse. For some patients, the situation can be aggravated to thepoint where the autonic nervous system is engaged, specifically placing the patient in a sympathetic state. PAtients in a sympathetics tate will experience an entire shopping list of possible symptoms, including dizzinessand nauseau.
Mar 20, 2013
Dr. Mike Deldar
23 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
May be: Most of the night guard are fabricated base of guessing work and they are not only they do not correct the issue but also cause discomfort. My advise to you find a neuromuscular dentist in your area. To fabricate you a physiologic bite splint, since they utilize computer and tensing units to precisely determine your jaw position.
Answered on Mar 15, 2016
4
Dr. Vatche Seraderian
31 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Possible?: Yu might be grinding a lot with the introduction of this new mouth guard to your mouth. Monitor for the next few days, if it doesn't get better slowly, consult your doctor.
Answered on Jan 23, 2014
1
1
Dr. William Williams
45 years experience Cosmetic Dentistry
Get the new night guard balanced. There may be a premature contact as you grind at night that is setting off the symptoms.
Sep 9, 2013