what's it like to get a filling. is it a weird sensation?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
Weird?: You’re 36 years old and never had a filling? Either you are very lucky individual and keep your teeth really clean or have been neglecting your teeth for a long time. Hopefully it's the first scenario. This experience is different for everyone. I can't say how it will be for you. Personally, i wouldn’t call it weird. Actually, i would call modern dentistry amazing.
Answered on Aug 8, 2014
1
24 years experience Psychiatry
Filling feeling: This is from the perspective of another dental patient. Usually the dentist has injected anesthetic into the gum to numb the area. Numbed tissue can feel quite odd but doesn't hurt. The noises and vibration made by the dentist's drill can feel "weird". I have to remind myself not to eat after a filling because if parts of my mouth are numb, i might bite the side of my mouth or my tongue. Ouch.
Answered on Aug 8, 2014
2
2 comments
1
24 years experience Psychiatry
Provided original answer
Thanks Gary, Heidi
Mar 22, 2013
Dr. Gary Sandler
53 years experience Dentistry
Great answer from the perspective of a dentist AND a patient.
Mar 21, 2013