I had an x-ray for middle back pain. it came back with dextroconvexity of the thoracic spine. what does this mean and could it be the cause?

9 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Jeffrey Roh answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Thoracic scoliosis: Detroconvexity implies that the apex of the curvature of your spine points to your right side. In the thoracic spine, it's the most common variety. Although pain can arise from adult idiopathic thoracic scoliosis, most patients are asymptomatic. Unless you have documented progression of the curve and/or neurologic dysfunction, most are treated conservatively. I would recommend a formal evaluation.

Answered 10/23/2017

5.2k views

Dr. Jason Rudolph answered

Specializes in

Curve: Dextroconvexity is a fancy way of saying a right sided curvature of your spine. If you are having pain, this is frequently related to muscle spasm, pulling the spine into a curved position.

Answered 4/18/2016

5.2k views

Dr. Leland Berkwits answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Scoliosis: Dextroconvexity is a description of a curvature of the thoracic spine (scoliosis) where the convex portion is on the right. This findings may or may not be related to your pain. Muscle spasm can cause this curvature or this may be something that has developed over time.

Answered 7/20/2014

3.9k views