A 45-year-old female asked:
Disclaimer

what r the possible causes of chronic inferior and middle turbinate swelling? if one has no allergies detected on skin test and r healthy otherwise

1 doctor answer
Dr. Martin Ostro
48 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Rhinitis: About 20% of people develop rhinitis. Rhinitis is inflammation of the nose due to overactivity of t cells in the nose. Mild irritants will increase symptoms, i.e., irritant rhinitis. In 80% of rhinitis cases there is allergic antibody production so there is an also allergic component. In the other 20% of cases no allergic antibodies are produced and symptoms are only aggravated by mild irritants.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
1
1 comment
7
7 thanks
Dr. John McMahan
47 years experience ENT and Head and Neck Surgery
Swollen turbinates can also be a symptom of sinusitis which may be an aftereffect of an irritation or virus. See an ENT specialist.
Mar 17, 2013

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month

Related questions:

A 45-year-old female asked:
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
32 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Irritant: The causes of nasal congestion due to enlarged turbinates include: allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, non-allergic-irritant rhinitis from smoke, perfumes, ... Read More
3
3 thanks
A 45-year-old female asked:
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
28 years experience Allergy and Immunology
Rhinitis: You can have non allergic or vasomotor rhinitis, Nasonex (mometasone) is a good choice for it, in addition to a nasal antihistamine if you have post n ... Read More
1
1 thank
A 29-year-old female asked:
Dr. Alessandra Bertolucci
32 years experience Ophthalmology
Any food allergy?: Did you consider food allergy that can cause mouth, tong swelling. Keep track of the food and double check.
A 50-year-old member asked:
Dr. Peter Zimmerman
32 years experience Pain Management
Yes: That is fairly typical.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Personalized answers
Free
Talk to a doctor
Unlimited visits
$10/month