what would cause a thigh to be numb?

Dr. Kai Philipp Olshausen
Pinched nerve: This could be due to "pinched" nerves. Where is the big question. It could be at the level of the spine, within a muscle or it could be a small superficial peripheral muscle. If it really is just a patch of numbness on your thigh it could be "meralgia paresthetica" a benign condition. But to be sure have it examined by your doctor.
Dr. Ray Holt
Dr. Ray Holtanswered
Meralgia parestheica: The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve can get pinched causing a numb area on the front of or outside part of the thigh. Get an exam by a doctor though because your symptom may also be due to other more serious causes.