U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
A 44-year-old female asked:

Iv bin told i have a tear in the joint of my knee n lots of fluid n its very painful what can be done as i can't bend it or even walk up stairs ?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Blake Miller
Orthopedic Surgery 15 years experience
Depends.: Depends on the problem. The joint effusion (swelling) indicates either likely a meniscal tear or chondromalacia (cartilage derangement) of the kneecap. I'd see an orthopedic sports doc to have it evaluated. You're in a tough age range that have complex algorithms depending on your pathology. But start by seeing a sports orthopedist.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Nov 25, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.