Columbia, SC

I am female with high cholesterol, type ii diabetes, and take .75 mcg of levothyroxine. my tsh test came back 2.9. is 2.9 high with new range?

Dr. Joseph Woods
Pathology 29 years experience
Might be.: The normal range for tsh, as far as i know, is 0.4 to 5.0 mu/l. The national academy of clinical biochemistry (nacb) said it expects it to be lowered to 0.4–2.5, because of research showing if TSH level is over 2.0 there is an increased odds ratio of hypothyroidism over 20 years, especially if thyroid antibodies were increased. But you're on levo so see dr. For free t4/thyroid panel to see if ok.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Endocrinology 53 years experience
Tsh 2.9 normal: Best to also check free t4.
Last updated Jun 10, 2014