Great Britain

I have a small lump in my nostril, very near the opening, on the actual nostril and not septum. it gets painful if i touch it a lot. i am worried it is cancer.

Dr. Dennis Clifford
44 years experience
Folliculitis: This is usually from an infection of a hair follicle inside the nostril. Keep your fingers out of your nose. Use a water based gel to keep your nose moist and if it doesn't improve you may need an antibiotic. Staph bacteria in particular like to reside there.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Chad Levitt
Radiation Oncology 23 years experience
Not cancer: Someone your age does not develop skin cancers or cancers of the nasal canal. While it can happen very rarely, these are not likely at all. Likely what u have is a follicle that has been irritated in the past and seems to b chronically bothersome. This is something that some saline nasal spray or aquaphor may give u relief for. Otherwise check with your regular doc.
Last updated Apr 28, 2015