A member asked:

What is alternative conservative treatment instead of a rizotomy ? cronic pain sufferer from degeneration in l4/l5

4 doctors weighed in across 3 answers
Dr. Mark Lacambra answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

See below!: Massage therapy, physical therapy, accupuncture, and chiropracty as well as antiinflammatories and muscle relaxants all might help. Assuming those have failed, a tens unit (external electric stimulation) or an epidural steroid injection would be other options, as would a topically applied medication such as the Lidocaine patch. Good luck!

Answered 1/12/2015


Dr. LERENA Yielding answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

EXERCISES: Lose weight, and exercise. Walking is good esp with broom handles used like ski poles when you walk. Also, specific exercises in the bed involving "crunches" to strengthen abdominal muscles and stretch back muscles.

Answered 10/4/2016


Dr. Justin Lo answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Alternatives: Rhizotomy is typically used for pain stemming from the facet joints, and is only done after confirming the cause of the pain with diagnostic medial branch blocks. There are other procedures that can be done for facet pain, but other more conservative approaches like diet, exercise, avoiding inflammatory foods and alcohol, yoga, pilates, and pt. You also gave to consider other causes of back pain.

Answered 6/15/2015



Related Questions

Online Primary Care Doctors Accepting New Patients

$44 video appointments available today with a membership as low as $15/month

Book a Video Appointment
Ask your question
Didn't find what you're looking for?

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more.

Ask your question

Meet your new favorite doctor