what are the best parenting books?

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Mileage may vary: Well, who gets to decide? No one book works for everyone. Read a few pages in the middle of each book you see in a bookstore; if it seems to make sense, it may be worth trying. In particular, this book: http://www.Amazon.Com/caring-your-baby-young-child/dp/0553386301 should get you around most pitfalls.
Dr. Alan Mease
Dr. Alan Mease commented
In my opinion Dan Siegel's books give a balanced approach based on neurobiology of the child's developing brain/mind. These are: 1. The Whole Brain Child 2. Parenting from the Inside Out
Jul 20, 2013
Dr. Alan Mease
Dr. Alan Mease commented
Dr. Dan Siegel has a new book coming out on adolescence entitled BRAINSTORM.
Sep 21, 2013
Dr. Robert GalatzerLevy
Child Psychiatry 50 years experience
I think Barry Brazelton's books are wonderful because they focus on the many ways children can develop well. Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care is also remains terrific.
Sep 28, 2013
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Many good ones!: Some of my favorites are brazelton's books (strong on development), aap's birth through five years. Also, i'll go ahead on plug one of my books here, "solving health and behavioral problems from birth through pre-school".
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum
Books by the AAP: My favorite parenting books are : caring for your baby and young child, birth to age 5 caring for your school-age child, age 5-12 both books are published by the american academy of pediatrics (aap).
Dr. Timothy Re
Dr. Timothy Re commented
Clinical Psychology 31 years experience
Hard to say because many have a bias. Look for clinically based. Researchers don't always make great writers but better.
Jul 17, 2013
Dr. Pamela Lindor
AAP books: There are many good parenting books out there, but here's a good place to start http://www.Healthychildren.Org/english/bookstore/pages/default.Aspx the american academy of pediatrics.
Dr. Ana Adelstein
Clinical Psychology 27 years experience
A Classic: One of my all-time favorites is " how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk." it focusses on building the most critical ingredient in healthy relationships: empathy -- that is, the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes.
Dr. Johanna Fricke
Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics 50 years experience
An oldie but goodie! " Little People" by Ed Christopherson for effective use of time-out. The AAP's "Your Child.." books.
Mar 27, 2013
Dr. Howard Gurr
Dr. Howard Gurr commented
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
For School age children- and older I always recommend an old stand by " Assertive Discipline for Parents" by Lee Canter.
Jan 25, 2015
Dr. Johanna Fricke
That's another oldie but goodie, as is 1-2-3 Magic. Positive Behavioral Support classes are also excellent.
Jan 25, 2015
Dr. Adam Front
Clinical Psychology 27 years experience
Love & logic: I agree with others who have said that there are many good parenting books. It also depends what age your kids are and what issues you may be having with them. Check the web site www.Loveandlogic.Com, which has a lot of good books, cds, dvds and other resources, plus a free e-mail newsletter on various parenting issues for all ages and many different issues.
Dr. Alan Mease
My favorites: The whole brain child and parenting from the inside out (available in chinese by dan siegel are the best for applying the latest advances in neurobiology to day to day parenting. Today's major problems in parenting are involved in the parent's self understanding and mental health. A new book on adolescence will be available soon: brainstorm: the power and purpose of the teenage brain by siegel.
Dr. Howard Gurr
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
Parenting books: I believe the best parenting book is "Assertive Discipline For Parents"by lee and Marlene Canter. You can get it on AMAZON - not always available from the library and I never found it in a book store !