Australia

why do babies pull their ears so much when teething and is it ok to give them pain killers 3-4 days in a row?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry 54 years experience
Call Pediatrician: I suggest that you take your child to a pediatrician to make sure there is no ear infection. I also would not give my child painkillers for teething, even for one day. Have him\her chew on a chilled teething ring. At least call your pediatrician and ask for advice.
Dr. Steven Pohlhaus
Dentistry 32 years experience
This is not unusual: Oral discomfort often refers to the ears because part of the ear is innervated by the same nerve that supplies the mouth (trigeminal nerve) adults with lower molars going bad often complain of ear pain, sometimes even before the tooth starts hurting. As far as the pain meds touch base with your pediatrician just to be safe.
Dr. Jason Clark
Specializes in Pediatric Dentistry
Ear Infection??: Sometimes ear pulling is a sign of an ear infection. You should only use tylenol (acetaminophen) for severe teething discomfort. Make sure to try palliative measures first like teething rings and damp frozen washcloths.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin answered
Pain Management 36 years experience
Very common: Teething babies may tug furiously at their ear or rub their cheek, nose or chin. If concerned see your pediatrician for consultation.

Last updated Apr 3, 2018