New Zealand

Should i up my dose of fluoxetine? it was having a positive affect on me and now i'm back to feeling low again. i take one pill a day

Dr. Robert Berkowitz
Depends: Talk to your doctor. The sudden loss of effectiveness of a drug is called tachyphylaxis, and Prozac (fluoxetine) tachyphylaxis in a young person with depression sometimes signals to me that i might want to take a different approach and use a mood stabilizer instead of an antidepressant. I might try you on Lamictal instead of increasing prozac (fluoxetine). Only your doctor is in the position to know. Talk to your doctor.
Dr.
Ask your doctor: Sometimes people describe what you are describing and the reason for the loss of effectiveness could be anything from worsening depression symptoms or a "tolerance" of the medication (this happens to some people over time). It's best to discuss with your doctor whether an increased dose makes sense or whether a different strategy is needed.

Last updated Nov 11, 2016