I was diagmised with myelomalacia and need to find an experienced surgeon in that field. don't know where to turn?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Richard Kim answered

Specializes in Neurosurgery

The term myelomalacia refers to an abnormality if white matter, and this may be in the brain or spinal cord. It's a very general term. The underlying cause is important to determine, in order to decide what, if any, treatment is appropriate.

Answered Apr 13, 2013

5.3k views

Dr. Thomas Dowling answered

Specializes in Orthopedic Spine Surgery

Either an orthopedic spine surgeon or neurosurgeon to evaluate the cause of the spinal cord changes to see if there is a surgical solution as to the cause but often once this is seen on an imaging study, the changes are usually not reversible. However, further injury may be prevented if there is evidence of cord compression as the source of the problem.

Answered Nov 28, 2017

5.3k views