U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 20-year-old male asked:

I have knee pain and swelling maybe erosion of cartilage whats the treatment please ?

3 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Reconstructive Surgery 19 years experience
Many things: Rest, ice, over the counter pain meds, and activity modification is a good starting point. Your orthopaedic surgeon can give you more specifics.
Dr. Bernard Bach Jr
Orthopedic Surgery 43 years experience
Xrays: First we start with xrays. An MRI may be necessary. The treatments can vary from medication and physical therapy to surgery. See a sports medicine trained orthopedic surgeon for an accurate assessment and plan.
Dr. Bernard Seif
Clinical Psychology 41 years experience
Knee pain/swelling: In addition to the excellent advice you've already been given, your doctor may drain your knee. He/she will know how to help. Peace and good health.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 14, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.