after my elbow has been bent a long time it's hard to extend, also if i'm laying in bed reading, while my elbow is bent, my hand goes numb?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Toni Lin
Dr. Toni Lin answered
Specializes in Hand Surgery
Pinched nerve: There's a nerve that is easily pinched at the elbow when our elbows are bent. If you're getting numbness and/or tingling to the ring finger and pinky, there's a good chance that's what is happening. Several things can cause stiffness in the elbow. A hand or orthopaedic surgeon can help with the diagnosis. Good luck!
Answered on Dec 9, 2013
1
Dr. Raymond Wittstadt
35 years experience Hand Surgery
Tendinitis, nerve: Stiffness at the elbow after being in one position for a while is often due to lateral or medial epicondylitis or tennis elbow. Try stretching your wrist and take some anti-inflammatory medication and see if that helps. The hand numbness is possibly due to ulnar nerve compression at the elbow. Try not to bend elbow as much, but if it persists get it checked out by a hand surgeon.
Answered on Feb 8, 2013
2