after my elbow has been bent a long time it's hard to extend, also if i'm laying in bed reading, while my elbow is bent, my hand goes numb?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Toni Lin
Dr. Toni Lin answered
Specializes in Hand Surgery
Pinched nerve: There's a nerve that is easily pinched at the elbow when our elbows are bent. If you're getting numbness and/or tingling to the ring finger and pinky, there's a good chance that's what is happening. Several things can cause stiffness in the elbow. A hand or orthopaedic surgeon can help with the diagnosis. Good luck!
Answered on Jun 24, 2018
1
Dr. Todd Guyette
Specializes in Hand Surgery
Cubital tunnel: Everybody has heard of carpal tunnel, but the other commonly compressed nerve in the arm is the ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve resides in the groove at the back of the elbow and is commonly pinched with prolonged elbow flexion creating numbness in the ring and small finger. For early symptoms the best way to manage is avoid the aggravating positions for the elbow.
Answered on Apr 5, 2014
1