After my elbow has been bent a long time it's hard to extend, also if i'm laying in bed reading, while my elbow is bent, my hand goes numb?

6 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Toni Lin answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Pinched nerve: There's a nerve that is easily pinched at the elbow when our elbows are bent. If you're getting numbness and/or tingling to the ring finger and pinky, there's a good chance that's what is happening. Several things can cause stiffness in the elbow. A hand or orthopaedic surgeon can help with the diagnosis. Good luck!

Answered 6/24/2018

5.3k views

Dr. Todd Guyette answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Cubital tunnel: Everybody has heard of carpal tunnel, but the other commonly compressed nerve in the arm is the ulnar nerve. The ulnar nerve resides in the groove at the back of the elbow and is commonly pinched with prolonged elbow flexion creating numbness in the ring and small finger. For early symptoms the best way to manage is avoid the aggravating positions for the elbow.

Answered 4/5/2014

5.3k views

Dr. Toni Lin answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Answered 12/9/2013

5.3k views

Dr. Raymond Wittstadt answered

Specializes in Hand Surgery

Tendinitis, nerve: Stiffness at the elbow after being in one position for a while is often due to lateral or medial epicondylitis or tennis elbow. Try stretching your wrist and take some anti-inflammatory medication and see if that helps. The hand numbness is possibly due to ulnar nerve compression at the elbow. Try not to bend elbow as much, but if it persists get it checked out by a hand surgeon.

Answered 2/8/2013

5.3k views