I have like 12 cavities and they're all silver fillings unfortunately. is the mercury in them more dangerous for adults patients?

Dr. James Donley
Dentistry 54 years experience
Maybe: There is no conclusive evidence that the mercury is more dangerous. There have been studies that show mercury is released into the body. Mercury is a known neurotoxin. The american dental association and the fda seem to be waffling on the question. I felt that there was enough known to stop using mercury fillings back in the late '90's. I see far fewer cracked and broken teeth with bonded fillings.
Dr. Kenneth Grossman
No: The mercury in amalgam is chemically bound and inert. It is not a problem.
Dr. John Rohm
Cosmetic Dentistry 33 years experience
Mercury fillings: I would not recommend having them removed unless there is something wrong with them, then replace with tooth colored fillings. There are some people who are allergic to some of the materials in silver fillings. Dentists have 2 places to put amalgams, your mouth or epa registered hazardous waste dump. Which do you want?

Last updated Feb 26, 2014