U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 49-year-old member asked:

How to tell the difference between a hair dye allergy or dermatitis?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Zacharisen
Allergy and Immunology 35 years experience
Can be a challenge: Allergic reactions to hair dye and other hair hair chemicals (perms) can lead to skin reaction on the scalp called dermatitis. These products may also lead to skin reaction on the eyelids. Another scalp condition is seborrheic dermatitis (cradle cap in infants). A dermatologist or allergist would be a good resource to sort out the cause of the rash. Allergy patch testing may be helpful.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Similar questions

A 32-year-old member asked:

How do I know if I have hair dye allergy?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Joram Seggev
Specializes in Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
Patch testing: Quite a number of hair dyes are notorious allergens. If you read the small print on the dye , it warns of reactions. If you develop a rash and/or severe itching on your neck, upper back and/or your forehead and eyelids initially a week after dyeing your hair and with time the interval getting shorter, odds are significant. For diagnosis, see an allergist/immunologist for patch testing.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 10, 2013
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $44!
50% off with $19/month membership


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.