U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom (Great Britain)
A 19-year-old male asked:

I have a really sore throat for a week recently when i cough or breath heavily my chest starts to hurt what could this be and should i see a doctor?

1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Douglas Miller
Pathology 43 years experience
Flu?: Especially at this time of year symptoms of an upper respiratory infection, including sore throat, cough, fever (you didn't say) are likely to be due to influenza. If your chest hurts you may have developed pneumonia, so see a physician promptly. Other viral infections can do this, for example mononucleosis, so it doesn't have to be influenza.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated May 7, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.