United Kingdom
A 38-year-old female asked:

What are the sources of ionizing radiation. i heard its dangerous thanks?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Ginsburg
Interventional Radiology 14 years experience
Good question: 80% of global average exposure of humans to ionizing radiation comes from nature (cosmic radiation, radon gas...). The remaining 20% results from exposure to human made radiation sources like medical imaging, air travel and nuclear power plant to mention a few. In medical imaging today in particular there is a big empahsis on reducing the radiation dose to as low as reasonably achievable.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. David Dinhofer
Radiology 43 years experience
It is everywhere: Ionizing radiation is everywhere. We get it from the sun, the air and the water but it is in very small doses. Sources include Radon, Cosmic radiation, polonium, and medical procedures that use isotopes and x-rays. The doses we receive from medical exams can be much higher than this "background" radiation. Ionizing radiation can damage DNA when the doses are large. check out Radiologyinfo.org.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 31-year-old member asked:
Will a hida nuclear scan expose me to dangerous radiation?
3 doctor answers8 doctors weighed in
A 40-year-old member asked:
Do hida scans expose patients to dangerous levels of radiation?
3 doctor answers10 doctors weighed in
A 42-year-old member asked:
How dangerous is it to be a radiographers in terms of radiation exposure?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
A 29-year-old female asked:
Is the radiation from wireless internet connection dangerous for fetus and baby?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 46-year-old member asked:
Can electric blankets give off dangerous radiation?
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Last updated Oct 30, 2017
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
$44 video appointments with $19/month membership*
*Billed $57 every 3 months. Cancel anytime.


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.