U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 29-year-old female asked:

I am already heavy but i don't wanna gain to much during my pregnancy what type of exercise should i do while i aam pregnant?

2 doctor answers13 doctors weighed in
Dr. Paul Cohen
Family Medicine 30 years experience
Great question!: By far the best exercise you can do is walking! make sure you have a comfortable pair of shoes! and take nice slow walks...Great for the circulation; and low impact. You might also try using an elliptical machine; as this is also low impact on your joints, just do it slowly and you'll get a great work-out. Yoga is another great thing to study while pregnant; very relaxing. Best of luck!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Scott Kramer
Gynecology 38 years experience
Intervals Best: Cardio exercise is basis for calorie burning. But the secret on achieving your goal or breakthrough a plateau is high intensity interval training (hiit) that accelerates fat burning in less time, because it raises your metabolic rate for hours afterwards! here's a link to program i offer patients (get doctor ok first): http://womenshealthfremont.Com/webdocuments/hiit-workout.Pdf.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Mark Perloe
Dr. Mark Perloe commented
Fertility Medicine 47 years experience
Cardio may not be cardioprotective. For the first 15-20 minutes you burn fat, but after that you will start breaking down muscle. The more muscle you have, the higher your basal metabolism. So while cardio burns calories, if you exercise too much, you lose muscle mass and need to drop calories or you will gain weight unless you drop your calorie intake.
Feb 14, 2012
Last updated Jul 25, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.