Can coffee work just as well as Abilify (aripiprazole) for depression?

Dr. Deepak Patel
31 years experience in Child Psychiatry
Probably not: To my knowledge, there have been no studies to compare the two in depression. Abilify (aripiprazole) and coffee are two different things with totally different mechanism of actions. Yes, both can be used as 'adjunct' to your treatment. Coffee can help with alertness, fatigue, etc, of depression. Abilify (aripiprazole) is an atipsychotic by nature. It has serious side effects like increasing your weight, cholesterol, and sugar.
Answered on Oct 4, 2016
2

Have health concerns or questions and need access to a doctor? HealthTap has you covered.