Acupuncture - if you have a needle against or near a nerve or your spine, would it be dangerous to move?

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 40 years experience
I guess that would : Depend on the size of that needle and how close it is to any important structure and what move you are making
Move how much: Needles are placed to contact a nerve's electric field when using major acupuncture points. If the needle approached the nerve to closely it would be be painful. Except in rare situations when I have a very shallow insertion the patient can usually move some. I move about all the time with needles in my neck and back. But usually people sit or lie quietly when needles are in place.