Santa Rosa, CA

how long does meth stay in an unborn baby's system?

Dr. Liawaty Ho
Hematology and Oncology 23 years experience
Don't use meth: Please don't use meth or any substance like that including alcohol if you are pregnant. Meth and all those substances- do not just come in and come out the baby's system. Those agents are toxin to baby's system and are able to alter / change/ destroy the very early and fragile body systems of the baby- most importantly vital organs like brain and nervous organ and other organ systems of the baby.
Many possibilities: The meth a fetus is exposed to will be gradually removed through the mother and active drug will be gone when it is out of mothers system.However, some will be deposited in the meconium or fecal debris accumulating in babies intestine.That is where i look (test) for exposure.It can/will remain detectable for weeks after use.
Define remain: Urine studies from a newly born infant would likely be clear if the mom had abstained for the week prior to delivery. If there were suspicions about drug use, the hospital staff could send the babies poo for studies that would show meth use within the preceding month or months.