U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Fair Oaks, CA
A 54-year-old member asked:

I've been diagnosed with severe patella tendonitis in my right knee. what is the best way to recover?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Amir Khan
Sports Medicine 28 years experience
Time vs surgery: Most can be treated nonoperatively with the use of rest and avoidance of painful activities such as knee extension machines, deep knee squats, lunges, step machine etc. Try therapy, antiinflammatories, ice and sometimes a knee sleeve. More recently anecdotal use of prp injections (also called stem cell injections) have been tried. Rarely, surgery is needed to clean the damaged tendon. See ortho.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Lauren Elson
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 17 years experience
Ice, rest, rehab: If this is truly acute tendonitis, ice, anti-inflammatories, and unloading with a patellar strap. Next, any faulty mechanics that may have led to the symptoms should be corrected. A sports med physician/physiatrist can determine if there is weakness of the core, or imbalance of the thigh or lower leg muscles. If chronic, new research has shown that it is not inflammatory, an treatment is differen.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 30, 2013


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.