Scranton, PA
A 27-year-old male asked:

Asthma 3 months after pneumonia. symptoms of hyperinflated lungs and hyperventilation syndrome. i know i need to see my dr, but what can i do for now?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 31 years experience
Asthma uncontrolled: It seems your asthma is not controlled. A pneumonia can trigger asthma symptoms and they can linger for a while. You need an inhaler to help you breathe. I would go seek immediate medical attention if you are having trouble breathing.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology 41 years experience
Depends how severe: If you're really having trouble breathing, go to the er at once. If you have a doctor already, see if a prescription for an inhaler can be called in to your local pharmacy. But you need to see a doctor to make sure your breathing problem is really asthma or something else, possibly recurrent pneumonia. Hyperventilating isn't necessarily a sign of asthma.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 25, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.