U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Scranton, PA
A 27-year-old male asked:

Can i have copd at age 27? i smoked heavily from 16 - 21 and have allergic asthma. now i feel symptoms of overinflated lungs, and i'm unable to exhale

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Nayla Mumneh
Allergy and Immunology 30 years experience
Asthma: I am glad you decided to stop smoking, at your age, you should be able to regain a normal lung function if you do not have a history of asthma or allergies. Your current symptoms describe asthma. You need an inhaler.
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Internal Medicine 30 years experience
Possible...: There is a form of copd, alpha-1-antitrypsin disorder, that occurs in younger people and the disease progression increases with smoking. It is diagnosed via a blood test. Pulmonary function testing will show chronic obstruction. See a lung specialist if this is a concern so this disorder can either be ruled out or treated with enzyme replacement therapy.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated May 12, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.