U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 38-year-old member asked:

Any advice on taking care of an aggravating back problem?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Kornelis Poelstra
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 25 years experience
Back pain: Just back pain does poorly with surgery, unless there is instability or deformity. Typically, core strengthening and daily flexibility exercises with weight loss where needed and better posture go a long way. Take some anti inflammatories when you start to make the startup pain better and have a spine specialist md take a look at things if not some better in 6 weeks.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Spine Surgery 41 years experience
Depends: First, you need a regular exercise routine. You can try core stabilization exercises like pilates & yoga along with other flexibility routines & cariovascular conditioning as well as proper weight & avoidance of smoking. Good sleep habits on a good mattress helps & maintaining good bone density. If pain persists, get checked.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Oct 24, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.