can a rotator cuff tear heal on its own without surgery? what do i have to do?

Dr. Peter Ihle
Orthopedic Surgery 54 years experience
No: A rotator cuff tear is like a tear in ur jeans. It only gets bigger unless u take it 2 a seamstres and have it repaired. It may sail along 4 a while and then like catching ur foot in the hole in the jeans, it sudenly gets bigger and the cuff pain is suddenly worse. Get it fixed!
Dr. Vivek Agrawal
Orthopedic Surgery 31 years experience
Depends: http://www.theshouldercenter.com/rotator-cuff-tear.htm an acute injury can result in significant weakness but not mean that there is a large tear. We need more information and a clearer extent of pathology and diagnosis. A drop arm test by itself is not sufficient to make the decision for surgery. Consider a more detailed evaluation with a shoulder specialist to review your options.
Dr. Brian Chimenti
Sports Medicine 27 years experience
Rotator Cuff: Depends on the size and thickness. Partial thickness tears can heal if they are less than 50% of the thickness of the tendon. Full thickness (complete) tears generally will not heal on their own and will often enlarge with time.