How can i get my daughter to stop grinding her teeth?

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Maybe a night guard : Grinding is referred to as bruxism. In young children, the habit tends to diminish with time and usually not a concern unless severe wear of the teeth is noted. Night guards can help prevent wear and tear of the teeth but are not usually tolerated by young kids. They can be effective for older kids and adults. Have your dentist evaluate your child's habit and discuss need for treatment.

Answered 9/22/2013

5.3k views

Very difficult: The first priority should be the protect her teeth while she is grinding. I would recommend having her dentist fabricate a night guard. Do not buy the products in the pharmacy that claim to be night guards as it is not a suitable alternative.

Answered 1/18/2014

5.3k views

See a dentist: Have a dentist make a custom mouth guard. A professional grade mouth guard is recommended as the one in the pharmacy may be ill fitting and can cause TMJ issues.

Answered 6/10/2014

5.3k views