why is it that when i put pressure over my eyes i see colored stars and sparkles?

Dr. Daniel Bustos
Ophthalmology 18 years experience
Retinal traction: When you pressurize your eyes, you are moving the vitreous jelly that occupies most of the volume of the back of the eye. The vitreous jelly is attached to the retina and when it moves, the retina moves as well. When the retina moves, it is stimulated and you notice that stimulation in the form of flashes and/or sparkles. Persistent flashes & sparkles though can be signs of a retinal detachment.
Dr. Robert Chang
Specializes in Ophthalmology
Retina stimulation: Mechanical stimulation of the retina, neurons fire, thus the visual cortex produces light images. This phenomenon is referred to as phosphene.